CHEF WILL’S HOPPIN’ JOHN STEW
- 11⁄2 cups black eyed peas
- 21⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup SEASIDE GROWN ORIGINAL BLOODY MARY MIX
- 1 pound ham hock
- 3 tbsp bacon fat, rendered
- 1⁄4 cups green or red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup sweet onion, diced
- 1 tsp pepper vinegar
11⁄2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp SEASIDE GROWN BLACKWATER HOT SAUCE
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- Dash of: onion powder, garlic powder, garlic salt, paprika, black pepper, cayenne pepper, & cumi
Soak peas in water overnight (8 to 12 hours).
Drain and sort through. Score your ham hock to expose God’s blessings.
Place the hock in stock and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to medium / low.
Add peas, bacon fat, SEASIDE GROWN BLACKWATER HOT SAUCE, and all dry seasoning.
Boil for one hour. Add water if needed. Stiroccasionally. Add vegetables. Continue cooking for
30-45 min or until desired thickness.
CHOICE OF RICE
Your choice of Carolina gold, long white grain, basmati, jasmine. Make sure to always cook rice in stock for the best flavor.